Fighting to prove your innocence can sometimes lead to extreme measures. Khader Adnan, a suspected terrorist and leader of Islamic Jihad, is currently being held behind bar on what seems like insufficient reasoning. On December 17, 2011 Adnan was arrested and immediately began his hunger strike. Adnan believes that the government has him held in the penitentiary for no reason and has since stopped eating and showering. Today marks the 58th day and the man who once weighted over 200 lbs has dropped to an astonishing 122. He has also lost massive amounts of hair and he is currently in a wheel chair.
Both articles had very similar stories but two totally different angles. The story from CNN seemed more so on Adnan’s side. From CNN I learned more about his condition and how bad the Israel government is treating him. The story went more into depth about the verbal, physical and psychological abuse Adnan is receiving. According to CNN they claim he has been mistreated, suffering long periods of solitary confinement and has been given multiple unnecessary strip searches. Unlike the other article, CNN also interviewed his family asking how they felt about the situation. I would say that CNN was more bias towards Adnan’s innocents.
Al Jazeera’s story focused more so on the situation of the strike and swayed more so to his guilt. The article did shed light on Adnan’s current status. It was clearer in this article that Adnan was indeed a guilty man and was a part of numerous terrorist attacks. Compared to the CNN story, Al Jazeera had more concrete evidence about the laws and actually reasoning of why the Israel government captured Adnan.
Reading such similar stories I thought it would be hard to find the differences. But reading it over a few times it was easy to see the author’s opinion. Although Adnan is slowly dying for what he feels it right, I do agree with the Israel government and their choice to keep him behind bars till May 2012. I don’t agree with how they say he’s being treated but all the allegations are hear say. It’s amazing to see how globalization ties into the article I choose. Seeing different perspectives gave me a different outlook on my final judgment.
Olivia -- this essay has some nice insights. First, let's get you into the habit of using THIRD person, not first. Stop using "I" and write observationally. Next: your introduction needs to explain that this little essay is about to compare and contrast the coverage of Adnan's story from two TV networks -- when you write, think of yourself as a tour guide, and help the reader follow you.
ReplyDelete